Homelessness in Auckland will be rare, brief and non-recurring

Housing First provides housing then offers tailored support for as long as it is needed to help people stay housed and address the needs that led to their homelessness. It is an evidence-based model for ending homelessness.

We formed as a collective at the end of March 2017 and started reporting our results in May that year.


Here’s how we’re doing
May 2017 – 31 December 2020




Children housed


Adults and families with children

Location source

36% West

23% South

18% City Centre

19% Central

4% North

Of the people housed (adult participants) since the programme began, 18% were from the city centre, 19% from Auckland Central, 36% from West Auckland, 23% from South Auckland and 4% from North Auckland. Please note, the location source reports on where people engaged with a Housing First programme – not the location of their subsequent home.

Gender (all adults)

55% Male

44% Female

1% Gender diverse

There are currently 475 males, 380 females and 10 gender diverse people in the programme. In many of the 200+ families we work with, females are the predominant primary carer, which is reflected in the proportion of females in the Housing First programme.

Household profile

73% Individuals

27% Families

73% of people in the Housing First programme are individuals living without dependent children (this is not to say they do not have children, but their children do not live with them). Families with dependent children make up the other 27% of those in the programme.

Primary ethnicity

49% Māori

18% Pacific

26% NZ European

2% Other

5% Asian

Māori make up nearly half of all people in the progamme. Statistics show that Māori are overrepresented among people experiencing homelessness. The number of Pacific participants in the programme remains consistent at around 20%.

Housing type

89% Private

8% Kāinga Ora

3% Other

89% of the homes we have sourced for people are from the private rental market. Private landlords are an incredibly important partner in the fight to end homelessness. In many cases, these privately-owned properties are being leased to a community housing provider in the Housing First collective.